Cattle Market Gate Pillar
Cattle Market Gate Pillar
The Gate Pillar from The Cattle Market
The Gate Pillar is the last remaining evidence of Preston’s long gone cattle market. As well as being a cattle market, it was also well know for trading shire horses. The Cattle Market was built next to Brook Street in 1867, on Thursday 24th October specifically, with an Auction Mart later being erected in 1898. E. G. Hothersall and Sons Ltd. leased the site from the Council. The Cattle Market was sold to Kendal Auction Mart Ltd. in October 1983. It is near to The Brook public house, which was formerly known as the Cattle Market Hotel or the’ big house’ to locals. The site of the former cattle market land now accommodates housing.
![]() |
Former Cattle Market on Brook Street seen on early 20th century OS Map |
![]() |
Former Cattle Market on Garstang Road seen on mid 19th century OS Map. |
According to Anthony Hewitson's 'History of Preston', it was paved and pens were erected to contain the hundreds of cattle that were sold on market days. The market days were Thursdays and Saturdays. It replaced the previous cattle market that was situated next to the Cattle Market Tavern on Garstang Road. This public house was across the road to the south and east of the Moor Park Inn, and it is now known as the Unicorn. The former cattle market land was used to build the school attached to English Martyrs’ Church.
![]() |
All that remains of the former Cattle Market on Brook Street |
There also seems to have been a cattle market somewhere around the Church Street area in the past. There are accounts of enormous herds of cattle being brought from the north for the annual eight-day fair that took place every August.
Strangely enough, it is proving difficult to find any pictures of any cattle at Preston's cattle markets. This is a photograph of Preston Cattle Market in 1936, from the Preston Digital Archive, with a Shire Horse sale in progress. The roof of the Cattle Market Public House is seen in the background.
![]() |
Preston Cattle Market in 1936 with a Shire Horse sale in progress |
![]() |
The Brook Tavern in Fulwood, Formerly The Cattle Market Hotel |
~
Further reading and sources of information
On this day … 24 October 1867 - Preston history website
https://prestonhistory.com/2023/10/24/on-this-day-24-october-1867/
.
CATTLE MARKET HOTEL, Brook Street on
PRESTON'S INNS, TAVERNS and BEERHOUSES
'
UNICORN HOTEL, North Road on
PRESTON'S INNS, TAVERNS and BEERHOUSES
https://pubsinpreston.blogspot.com/2012/03/unicorn-hotel-north-road.html
.
Lost Preston in Photos (part three) by Tony Worrall
Posted on Blog Preston 5th March 2014
https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2014/03/lost-preston-in-photos-part-three/
.
Brook Street in Fulwood on Google Street View
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AuMWkZy1AuPHcWJn6
.
Former Cattle Market on Brook Street seen on early 20th century OS Map
National Library of Scotland
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101101877
.
Comments
Post a Comment